Taking the lead from the American website www.libraryreads.org, Loan Stars is the new readers’ advisory service that allows library staff across Canada to collaboratively select their favourite forthcoming titles. Using CataList, the online catalogue tool available free to libraries, librarians can nominate their favourite picks, the most popular of which will be marketed to libraries and library users alike.
- LoanStars is available to all library staff (anybody with a library email address)
- We will be launching voting in January with the goal of having the first LoanStars list in March or April.
- Library staff can vote on their favourite pre-publication adult book, Fiction or Non-fiction. We may later have a juvenile list but right now we are keeping it to adult titles.
How to vote:
- Voting takes place in CataList (www.bnccatalist.ca), a free tool that allows library staff to access the most up-to-date publisher catalogues. Titles need to be listed in CataList in order for you to cast your vote.
- Books need to be nominated a month prior to the publication date. i.e. books with a publication date of March need to voted on prior to February 1st. In this example, we will compile March lists in early February and circulate them to libraries – giving librarians an opportunity to vote.
How to get your hands on books:
- Librarians can vote on any book they wish to nominate pre-publication (which is in CataList)
- Librarians can get digital galleys via NetGalley. On the CataList homepage there is a link to a NetGalley catalogue which is all NetGalley content that is available on CataList (check back often as there are new books available weekly)
For now, we recommend that librarians sign up to be added to the Loan Stars mailing list (www.loanstars.ca). They can also sign up with CataList and NetGalley and get ready to nominate books! We recommend focusing on titles that are coming out in the spring.
We need lots of participants! Please consider being a part of this exciting new initiative.
For more information, contact:
North Vancouver District Public Library